Top 100 Most Read Bible Verses

What would you guess are the top ten most-read verses of the Bible?

Over at the BibleGateway.com blog, we’ve published a list of the top 100 most read Bible verses. We pulled our data from 25 million searches between March and April, limiting the results to searches done on 3 or fewer verses.

The results might not surprise you, but it’s still interesting to see what people are reading.

Here’s the top 10:

1. John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  2. Jer 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  3. Rom 8:28: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
  4. Phil 4:13: I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
  5. Gen 1:1: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
  6. Prov 3:5: Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
  7. Prov 3:6: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
  8. Rom 12:2: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
  9. Phil 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
  10. Matt 28:19: Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Jump over to the BibleGateway.com blog post to see the rest.

And just for kicks, the least read passage of the Bible is 1 Chronicles 23-27, which details the organization of the priests and officials under King David.

Do any of the verses that made it surprise you? Do you have a favorite that you don’t see on the list?

10 Responses to “Top 100 Most Read Bible Verses”

• nathan (New Zealand) says:

I just had to check out 1 Chronicles 23-27 because you put that there ;)

Keep up the good stuff!

• Andy says:

Hah, that was my first reaction, too :)

• [...] recently published a list of the top 100 most searched-for verses. I’ve rearranged the top 10 into a vaugely organised fashion, with the rank of the verse in [...]

• Renea says:

What is the longest verse in the Bible??

• Chris Salzman says:

@Renea the longest verse in the Bible is Ester 8:9:

“At once the royal secretaries were summoned—on the twenty-third day of the third month, the month of Sivan. They wrote out all Mordecai’s orders to the Jews, and to the satraps, governors and nobles of the 127 provinces stretching from India to Cush. [a] These orders were written in the script of each province and the language of each people and also to the Jews in their own script and language.”

Thanks for popping in!

• Thank you so much! I found this to be so comforting.
    My daughter Melanie had surgery almost 4 weeks ago and i found strength in the holy words.
    I know that God will look after her and make her recovery sound and straight.
    Thank you !
    Please pray for Melanie Epstein to heal well and have a good result.
    liz

• Arthur says:

Love our GOD above all…………….. what ever religions we are associated with LOVE our GOD.

• James says:

Funny about 2 Chronicles passage…I would have guessed the first part of Numbers! :)

• I just started reading 1 Chronicles in my Bible reading plan (I’m a little behind, but only by 11 days now.) I’ll be covering those chapters soon-ish. I still can’t imagine anyone using it as part of a sermon, though!

Memorize one of these verses a week or every few days and you’d have a pretty solid verse foundation. :-) I recognize all of them and I think I could find them in the Bible because I know it pretty well, but I never can remember references off the top of my head so that is something I need to work on.